Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lost...

My laptop has been broken for the past couple months... my dad brought in to get fixed the other day and they said it was a problem with my hardrive, that they would try and recover everything on it... immediately my mind started racing, I had HUNDREDS of photos and a lot of videos of my precious baby, from pictures on the day we found out we were pregnant, to the day my belly popped, and that Friday night when he decided it was time to grace us with his presence... to other things that may not seem as important to some people (his first trip up to the cottage, park play times, bunch of random shots of his beautiful smile) but too me they were everything. I didn't want to even think about it so I pushed it into the back of my mind hoping everything would be okay... hoping that I would get to watch the video of him opening his eyes for the first time, or reminisce looking at the photos of my huge belly, that I would still get to spend hours looking and analyzing every cute, precious picture... because he'll never look the same.

Today my dad dropped off my computer. At first glance I knew some stuff was missing, but I was happy when I opened My Pictures file and staring back at me were a handful of files... Cole May 2010, Cole June 2010, July 2010, August 2010... and then it stopped. Where are his September pictures? The cutest bath pictures I've gotten to date? Or his October pictures? His first halloween as Batman? Or November? ...My first birthday as a mommy...

They were gone.

I quickly went to My Videos and saw that there were only 3 folders looking back at me...

When I thought about losing the videos I had taken of Cole, I just hoped and pleaded that if ANY could be saved it were the ones from his first month or two of life. Daniel took videos of many firsts, first sights, first diaper changes, first breastfeedings, saying goodbye to the NICU and many more... I be heartbroken if I lost those treasures.

Thankfully the 3 folders on the screen were May 2010, June 2010, July 2010... all that had to be there were May and June and I would have been estatic the July videos were just icing on the cake.

I'm extremely sad about the other videos I lost, don't get me wrong, but these ones were the most important too me. I'm happy that I have some of the video footage from the other months in his Monthly Videos.

As for the lost pictures I added most of them onto Facebook so now it's just a matter of going through all my photos and re-saving... but I'll never have all of them back.

Backing-up my files is a MUST now.






Love, M

No comments: